House Fire on Miller Street 10-12-2008
KWCH TV News story & Video
KAKE TV story & Video
- Mulvane 911 received the report of a structure fire at 9:08 am.
- Duty Office Lt. Heersche, Captain Ester, Engine 402, Engine 403 and Rescue 407 responded.
- Fire units arrived to find smoke showing from the roof vents & chimney.
- E-402 positioned in front of the residence with a 5" supply line. Lt. Kimble was assigned Interior Fire Attack.
- Fire Crews made several attempts into the structure looking for the seat of the fire.
- Capt. Ester assumed Command, Lt. Heersche was assigned Safety & Recon officer.
- The fire was found in the basement but it was impossible to gain access to it due to contents in the basement.
- Ventilation efforts were proving difficult inside, due to the thick smoke.
- Fire conditions continue to worsen fanned by strong southern winds.
- Ambulance 450, Engine 401 and Capt. Patterson responded to the alarm.
- Fire Investigators were also requested to respond.
- Udall Fire was called @ 9:41 am to fill our station and was then diverted to the scene for manpower.
- Lt. Heersche was re-assigned South Division, Lt. Mundell was assigned North Division.
- Mulvane EMS started rehabbing firefighters due to the extended scene time.
- Captain Patterson was assigned to Rehab & as Accountability Officer.
- At 10:00 am Derby Fire was requested for a Quint.
- After one hour of offensive attempts the fire was declared defensive.
- With the Aerial device, deck gun and 2.5" attack line in place we could not maintain water pressure.
- Engine 401 was pumping a 5" line supplying Derby's Quint from a hydrant about 500' away.
- Engine 402 was only 100' from it's hydrant using a 5" line.
- Udall Engine 41 then reverse laid a 5" line about 700' to a third hydrant to help supply Derby's Quint.
- A 3" jumper was then connected from Derby's Quint to Mulvane E-402 to help boost their pressure as well.
- This required closing Second Street to all traffic.
The fire was declared under control around 11:45 am.
- The fire was believed to have started in a basement storage room.
- The Kansas State Fire Marshal is assisting Mulvane Fire & Mulvane PD with the investigation.
21 Mulvane Firefighters responded with 7 units.
16 Mutual Aid Firefighters responded from three departments with 5 units.
Took 2 hours and 45 minutes to bring the fire under control.
M.E.S. Photographer Garry Brownlee
Garry Brownlee is the Department Photographer and is a member of the Resource Team. Many of the pictures on this web site of current events were taken by him. Pictures used by permission only. See more of his work here on flickr.
Garry's Main Page
Misc. Pictures Page 2
Misc. Pictures Page 3
Misc. Pictures Page 4
Misc. Pictures Page 5
Misc. Pictures Page 6
Misc. Pictures Page 7
2002 Train Derailment
Old Settlers 2002
Old Settlers 2003
Old Settlers 2005
Old Settlers 2008
Structure Fire September 2003
April 2003 Disaster Drill
MES Open House 2003
April 2004 School Bus MCI Drill
Jackpot Barrel Racing 2004
Jackpot Barrel Racing 2005
Structure Fire April 2006
Open House 2006